BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Authentic Replicants Converge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:26:55 -0700
Donna:

Martin Weaver, "Conserving Buildings" page198 of the revised edition states:

"Copper may also be attacked by acidic runoff from some lichens and from new
cedar, oak, some pine, and redwood shingles. Certain types of bituminous
materials contain organic acids which will attack copper and leave it etched
a brilliant metallic pink."

Many woods contain organic acids within the extractives portion - that same
portion of the wood which contributes to resistance to fungal and insect
attack

Ken Johnson