BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chapel of the unPowered nailers.
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 18:24:44 EST
In a message dated 1/5/2001 3:51:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  We've seen modular mansions and modular condominiums in the area, but
never before has a modular home metamorphosed into an 1800's farmhouse
design.  But it's happening in the area now.

 Jim Troy, a Stamford real estate agent, is building a replica of an 1800's
farmhouse, comprised primarily of modular components from two custom modular
manufacturing companies in the area.  " I wanted to take away the stigma from
modular homes," Troy said.

 " I decided to offer the exact opposite of what people expect, and there's
quite a demand for 1800s homes.  This may not be an original, but it's the
second best thing

 and has modern technology to boot."

"reboot?<<<<<<<<<

 " I think that being able to show people a product will help them with the
decision process, when they're looking at land," Troy said.

home."<<<<<<<<

 The house has eight modular components, ranging from one that consisted of
half of the family room with cathedral ceiling to another that hosted a large
office with its own entrance.

count again, Jim?<<<<<<<<<

 The four-bedroom house also will have a playroom and a utility area off the
kitchen.

 To give the more than 5000 sq. ft house that authentic 19th century look,
Troy chose to include an assortment of features that speak of the past, many
of which will be crafted on site.

 The exterior siding will be clapboard, with the textured side out, enhanced
by fishscale detailing.

And shutters in early American style will have an unusual appearance.  " When
the original 1800s shutters were created, the fins were aimed downward to
force water away from the windows during a storm," Troy said.  "When the fins
are open, the shutters looks as if they were installed upside down."

century realtor, Jim knows best.<<<<<<

 There will be a porch with swings will be along the front of the house, and
imported antique country-style double doors, with wrought-iron grills in
front of the door's glass areas.

putting bars on their houses.<<<<<<<

 Inside there will be a fireplace constructed of native stone, and wide plank
flooring of pine.  Even the authentic nails of the time will be reproduced,
and there will be traditional toilets, pedestal sinks and faucets. " That's
as close as we can get without putting an outhouse in," Troy said.

put them in, in the olden days. But will Jim's traditional fixtures be
installed in or out?<<<<<<<<<<<
 A company that replicates fixtures that were originally powered by gas but
were later converted to electric will be supply the lighting fixtures.

the handwrought nails.<<<<<<<<<<<

  Kitchen cabinetry of cherry will hark back an earlier era of simplicity
their kitchens.  And if you don't believe it, look at the
Mel-Gibson-as-Revolutionary-War-pacifist-turned-patriot movie.<<<<<<<<<<<
.
, almost verging on the rustic.
verging on the rustic.<<<<<<<

 The kitchen sink will be hammered copper in farmhouse style.  " The kitchen
sink alone retails for over $ 4,600.00," Troy said.

 The hardware, from door knobs to hinges, will replicate 1800s style, and the
painting and wallpapers will be in early American motifs.

a long time and there was only one style, what with people being shorter and
all.<<<<<<<

 " We are working with a company that makes exact replicas of antique
furnishings, and they are doing the entire first floor, including the oil
paintings," Troy said.  "That way, everything can be reproduced again and
sold to homeowners."

 Troy estimates that with modular construction, he would save 10 to 20
present on the structure, plus months of saving on caring cost on the land.
"The units were built in a factory in New York, where the temperatures do not
fluctuate,

wjere the temperatures don't fluctuate."  Who needs ad agencies, with
renaissance colonial realtors like our friend Jim?<<<<<<<<<<

 the lighting is always perfect, and the weather has no bearing on the
quality of the final produce," he said.

 "Modular homes are the wave of the future.  Some are just slower than others
in riding the wave."

 Troy and his wife, Patricia, along with daughters Kaitlin, 6 and Tara, 2,
will be moving in when the house is complete.  Two years from now, the house
may be for sale.

 Good luck preservationists!

Ralph