From:
Mike Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:23:01 -0800
Steve:

You're right -- the 22C had 12 channels and the 22 6 -- I just couldn't
remember what the 6-channel machine was called.

That must have been an interesting exercise building the synth into the
Standard.  I also remember several 22C's with GLB synths wired into them.
Only drawback of that setup, asside from being a bit awkward to carry, was
that the GLB's in many instances seemed to put some sort of audio spur on
the signal so that one often heard a whistle at around 3kHz on the
outgoing audio.  Didn't happen with all of them, though.

And then there was the Wilson WX-something-or-other -- 6-channel xtal rig
with the speaker at one end and the microphone built-in at the other.  For
a natural-power credit on Field Day once we powered one of those from a
bicycle head-light alternator.  Turned the bike upside down and cranked
the pedals by hand.  Alternator got kinda warm but was easy cranking and
we could have kept that up for hours. (grin)

Mike Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Amateur Radio: < K 7 U I J >