Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:51:16 -0700
7BIT
From:
  The *host.SAM files are SAMple files that Windows provides that can
be followed as examples when creating *hosts files.  It is the
versions *without* extensions that are "live", and may need to be
deleted.

  The files are named "hosts" and "lmhosts".
  Ordinarily, by design, they provide a simple mapping of host names
to IP addresses, and are consulted before querying WINS and/or DNS
for this information.  It's *just possible* that if they have somehow
become corrupted, the query to DNS might never happen and the process
might time out.  In this case, deleting them could be helpful.

  (The "live" files should not exist unless someone has deliberately
created them, perhaps to solve some other problem.  Renaming them may
be a better idea than deleting them.)

  (Frankly, I consider it more likely that the DNS server is down, or
that the network information (subnet mask, gateway address, or DNS
server address) is incorrect so that the server is never reached.
But that may reflect my background in corporate networks where *hosts
files are rarely used.)

David Gillett

On 26 Aug 2001, at 18:44, joseph marty wrote:

> There are a couple of files in the Windows folder that are something like *host.sam that have to be deleted.  I had this problem about 2 years ago, and a smart techie from Mindspring turned me onto this solution.  Too bad I can't remember the file names.  I no longer have them, but I could ID
them if I saw them because they caused me no end of trouble.  Apparently, what happens is that the name Windows gives the URL gets screwed up and doesn't match the actual URL.  At least that's what happened to me.

> ><< I have a computer right now that will connect to the Internet,
> > but once connected, it just keeps saying that it can't find anything at
> > all.  I have tried reinstalling tcp/ip and dialup networking.  I have even
> > tried reinstalling Windows over itself on some of the other computers I
> > have had come in like this.  The only solution I have ever found so far is
> > to erase the drive and start from scratch.  I would really, really love a
> > better solution...... any ideas??? >>
> >

> >Ryan,

> Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/
>
> Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Mail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com/
>
>         The NOSPIN Group provides a monthly newsletter with great
>        tips, information and ideas: NOSPIN-L, The NOSPIN Magazine
>            Visit our web site to signup: http://freepctech.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml