EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jesse Fahnestock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:52:30 -0800
I wanted to follow up on Richard's email, which I appreciate as I hope it
gives
folks some ideas of some of the options for working with Bookshare.org as an
institution. I understand, however, that some of the specifics in the email
might
be a little confusing, and it was my intention only to spread the general
message
that Bookshare.org is a more flexible option than people realize. In terms
of
specific implementations, I would certainly encourage anyone who is
interested
to contact me directly ([log in to unmask]) to discuss putting something in
place
that works for your school.

There are a couple of factual matters that I should clear up, however, in
addition to what Peter posted:

Bookshare.org is more than just aware of the DAISY standard: we are an
active member of the consortium, and all Bookshare.org books are available
in the NISO/DAISY 3.0 format. Indeed the law requires us to make our books
available in specialized formats such as DAISY and digital braille, and our
copyrighted materials are not available for download in plain text. The
DAISY
files available from Bookshare.org at the moment do not make full use of
the DAISY DTD structure (it's very difficult to accurately tag things like
chapters
and headings in scanned books, but it's something we're working on), but
they
do provide some essential structure and navigation capability (by page and
paragraph,
bookmarking).

I think the confusion here comes from the fact that our DAISY books are
text-only
DAISY, a legitimate "flavor" of the DAISY standard supported by NISO/DAISY
3.0. Many
people still think of DAISY as DAISY 2.0, which only supported marked-up
audio
files. The 3.0 standard can support either XML-based structured text or
audio or,
ideally, both. Indeed it can support many more things, including video and
layered
graphics and anything that can be referenced by the format's SMIL file. At
the moment
we provide text-only DAISY 3.0 because it makes more sense for internet
distribution
and because we feel that access to the text of the book is a valuable
resource. (The
text can be listened to using text to speech, of course). Likewise RFB&D
provide
audio-only DAISY 3.0 at the moment, because that makes best use of their
high-quality audio book production facilities and human narrators. The fact
that both types of DAISY book can be obtained, albeit from different
sources,
is a very positive thing! Someday full-text, full-audio DAISY books will be
widely
available, something we very much look forward to.

(Finally, one minor thing...I'm actually not a Ms., I'm a Mr., but Jesse
will do just fine. Just wanted everyone to know so they don't get shocked by

my voice if they decide to give me a call!)

Thanks for taking the time to read, and thanks to Richard and Peter for
their posts.

Jesse Fahnestock
Product Manager, Bookshare.org
www.bookshare.org

A Project of The Benetech Initiative - Technology Serving Humanity
480 S. California Ave., Suite 201
Palo Alto, CA 94306-1609  USA
(650)475-5440 x133
(650) 475-1066 FAX