EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Adrian Higginbotham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adrian Higginbotham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 23:06:29 +0100
depends whether you mean voice or text,
i've not used many voice chats so couldn't comment
as for text,
standard irc clients like ms chat or Mirc are best, personally I prefer Mirc
its very configurable there's nothing i can think of that can't be done from
the keyboard and or read with the screen reader.

for web based chat i've found very little, there are some html based chat
clients for the web out there but they work simply by refreshing the page
every few seconds which is horrid for use with a screenreader.
the only really good one i found was a java applet called "alice client"
which was used in an online role play game but as charactors could interact
either in or out of charactor it was realy just a chat client with scripts
to portray the environment in which the game was set.

Adrian Higginbotham,
SURFACE
Salford University, Research Focus on AcCessible Environments.
E-mail [log in to unmask]
tel: 0161-2954939
fax: 0161-2955011
sms 278314405199094 this is a text # only it does not accept voice calls.
web: http://www.scpm.salford.ac.uk/surface/