From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 19:33:00 -0500

These are chocolate bars that are used for fund raisers by schools, etc.

Since I was being asked to buy some from a friends child I needed to
check if their chocolate bars were gf and unfortunately they are not.
They are aware of various allergies and apparently the problem here is
cross contamination with malt barley from the rice crispies they use in
one of the bars (since water adversely affects the finished product they
cannot wash chocolate equipment between runs so chocolate is used to
clean out the equipment however this does not adequately remove the
undesired ingredients so there is cross contamination) . They do have a
separate line for peanut free items but have not found an acceptable
substitute for the rice crispies. However they are trying to find one
and so they indicated that we should keep calling to verify if they
still have a problem with cross contaminated. I plan on calling next
time there is a fund raiser.

Worlds Finest Chocolate 773-847-4600 (CST) DO NOT go to customer service
(I tried this route the first time and after approximately 20 minutes I
had still not spoken to a person). Go to the operator and indicate you
want to find out about the gf status of the chocolates. I was then
transferred to the lab.

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD USA