From:
Bev Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:29:14 -0400

Ok, everyone, I have been celiac for six months and faithfully reading
all your suggestions.  I have appreciated all the help everyone has
given me, but after watching this list for so long, it dawned on me I
have a question to ask.

I know we have to be very careful about what we buy, and sometimes even
have to call a manufacturer for more info.  What I don't understand is
this.....  many of you say you take your pasta or your pizza crust to a
restaurant and have them fix it for you.   How do you know what they put
on it is GF??    There can't be any way to follow their food back to the
manufacturer, can there?   Or are all of you just taking risks, or maybe
not prone to much reaction?

I know bacon is even iffy.  I order it at Bob Evan's restaurants, but
elsewhere they have bacon from companies I have never heard of.    How
can we possibly be safe??   I do take my bread with me for breakfast or
a sandwich.   I had hoped bacon would be safe and I could just order
BLT's, but now I don't feel very safe ordering anything!!

So what are we REALLY supposed to be doing??   I want to be safe when I
eat out, but so far I feel like I am half starved when I try,
particularly if I don't buy a full meal.

Bev
Mansfield, Oh