Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 04:03:47 -0700
On 6 Aug 2001, at 20:45, William Shouse wrote:

>Hello,
>I have a problem with my Cable Internet connection. I
>have a LAN setup around a 5 port linksys switch. I am
>only running 2 systems and recently I am unable to
>have both connected at the same time. They both had
>been working great for the last 9 months. I made no
>changes to protocols or hardware.
>I can have either one connected or able to connect
but

>I have to reset the one I want to connect by turning
>my cable modem off and resetting the IP address. At
>that time I can go and restart which ever computer I
>want to connect but then I can't connect on the
other.
>It is like one takes over the others place.
>I thought maybe the switch was bad but I got a new
one

>and hooked it up with the same result.
>Could the cable company have a way to limit my
>connections? I can't think of anything on my end that
>could have changed.
>Any help is appreciated.
>Thanks
>William Shouse

  I've heard of a similar problem before, where although the user had
ordered multiple-address service from their cable provider, the
provider had configured their access to allow only a single machine
at any time.
  It sounds like your provider may have, for some reason, reset your
service in thsi fashion.

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml