From:
Ethan Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 21:14:57 -0500
On Fri, 3 Aug 2001 11:40:24 -0400, Marv Trott <[log in to unmask]>
posted article <[log in to unmask]>,
which said:

> This is a continuation of  my last request for help on system resources. I
> did get the startup resources near 95% with the suggestions made. Thanks again.

I checked the archives and noticed that someone said that you should
shut down all programs except Explorer and Systray.  I just wanted to
add that Systray is not a crucial component and it can be shut down or
disabled in MSCONFIG.  Only "drawback" is that you won't have access to
the Windows sound mixer panel from the system tray, but that's not a
problem if you place a shortcut on your QuickLaunch bar.  Just find the
path and file c:\windows\SNDVOL32.EXE and make a shortcut to it and drag
it to the quicklaunch bar.  You still won't have right-click access to
the volume, but if you're happy with 95% resources, then so be it.  I
start mine with 99% resources free and I've actually seen it start with
100% free a time or two when I don't have my mouse button assignments or
printer monitor running.

Ethan