From:
Gary Tennesen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:34:46 -0700
When Windows completely "melts-down" I have found another option not quite
as devastating as a reformat of the hard drive and that is to rename
C:\Windows to something else like C:\oldwin and do a reinstall of the
operating system onto C:\windows.

You will lose all your current registry and .ini files; however, you will
have a fresh installation without data loss.  You will have to reinstall
just about every program; but, you will not lose any of your data.

I might even recommend this procedure as a once-a-year or as needed process
when you wish to get your computer moving its fastest again.  Also, as a
technician, I have found it to be an incredible help when I don't want to
haplessly lose a client's data.   Typically, when Windows cannot find
drivers on the client's machine, I will point the search to c:\oldwin or
c:\oldwin\inf or c:\oldwin\system and it will install from there.

I might add that if any of the drivers are corrupt, then the corrupted
drivers will be reinstalled (not good) if you try the above technique.

--gary r. tennesen