From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 16:08:13 -0400
In the strictest sense a router is not a substitute for a hub.  You are
thinking of a switch.  A hub works by broadcasting all packets to all nodes
on the network.  Nodes listen to the lan for all packets, searching for ones
with their address.  A switch keeps a table of all the node addresses and,
after interrogating each packet, routes it only to the destination node.
There is a lot more that switches do, but this one feature is a significant
improvement over hubs.  This results in much less traffic on the net.  You
would likely see no noteworthy improvement on a 3 node network on which you
are playing games, since each node is likely to be interested in seeing all
game packets all the time anyway.
Tom Turak