From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 08:27:43 -0400
Marilyn

I agree with Mark. However, I would also recommend that you start from
scratch and reinstall the drive on its own IDE Channel, using the 80 wire,
specially insulated ATA66/100 cable that came with the DiamondMax. Follow
directions carefully, which may specify that one end of that cable go to
the IDE connection on the motherboard and the other END (not the middle
connection on the cable) go into the drive. Check the power cable
connection and set the drive select jumper as specified for a solo/master.

Use the SAME hard drive parameters which you originally used (so you can
retrieve the data off the drive). If the drive works, back up your data ASAP.

Then reboot, go into CMOS and use the IDE hard drive auto-detection utility
to check the hard drive parameters. Compare the old parameters to the new.
If different, that may be the problem.

Finally, download the Maxtor diagnostics and run the thorough test. It may
recommend replacement of the drive, or it may fix the problem by removing
bad sectors from use.

ISSUES:

        1.  What kind of motherboard/BIOS do you have?
        There are some issues with older motherboards and
        the new UDMA ATA66/100 drives, even though the
        drives are backward compatible. Do you have a
        motherboard which lacks the support to exceed
        the 8GB barrier and are you using the translation
        software?

        2.  What was the make/model of the C: drive?
        Again, issues there. You may have to set special
        drive select jumpers for backward compatibility.

        3.  How much power do you have in your system?
        If you have less than 300 Watts and are running
        two HDDs on a P-II class or higher CPU on an ATX
        motherboard, you are underpowered.

Even if you get the drive working, I would not trust my data on it. I would
get an RMA and return it, especially if it is an OEM drive (the boxed
retail drives usually have longer warranties, which come directly from the
drive maker).

Good luck, and let us know what happens...

John Chin