From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 17:51:06 -0700
You can not install Linux into an existing partitions ...it sounds like
this is what you are trying to do...create it with Partition Magic and
install into it. Won't work.
You MUST create the Linux root partition during the install and a Swap
partition using Linux. If you have existing partitions then first use Disk
Druid to delete them and  then create new ones. Linux will then check and
format the partitions.  Afterward you will be able to startup the install.

You will want to use Disk Druid and not Linux command line partitioning.
Either way you won't find a better step by step guide then Linux for
Dummies. And you even have the correct book for the RH version. You just
need to work with the book until you get it. There is nothing I can really
add to his guide.

  As far as making the partitions I suggest you keep it simple for this
first time....install everything on one root partition and one swap
partition. Make a swap partition of 128 megs. That is the max it can be. If
you want to install Everything it takes 1.75 GB plus the Swap partition so
make your adjustments from that. Don't try to figure out the packages
yourself .....install one of the pre configured installs....like for a
workstation ...or a server.

Don't let RH write to your boot sector...tell it to stay on it's own
partition or you won't be able to boot Windows 2000.
Use a 3Rd party boot manager like System Commander or Powerquest
BootManager....this is easier then using Lilo.

Mark Rode
The NOSPIN Group

At 08:16 AM 4/6/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>I am trying to install RH 7.0 in a dual boot mode and have tried everything
>I option to use Disk Druid and fdisk appear, but I don't know enough to use
>these options.  I have even tried entering "linux lba32"(without the quotes)
>at the initial boot prompt as in the manual, but it didn't help.  I was able
>"there is not enough space to use automatic partioning", but the failed
>drive was only 1.2G.  Does anyone have words of wisdom?   Thanks
>
>George&Mary Skokan([log in to unmask])

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com