EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 04:26:26 -0500
This is my suggested reading list which will help members of this group
leasrn more about evolutionary fitness generally.  There really is no
definitive document just yet.  Those (like Iain Townsend and Curt Lizzi)
who want more information will have to be "hunters and gatherers" on the
internet.  Here are a few of the richest sites I have come across.

Art De Vany is working on a book based on his own experimentation,
experiences and research.  As I understand it, this will bring together
information on exercise (and, more broadly, physical behaviour), diet,
thinking, aging, supplements and how they all interact.  He will, I expect,
be using the evolutionary framework which he outlines on his website
http://www.evolutionaryfitness.com/.

The closest I have come across to a complete work (that is, dealing with
food and diet) is the web site of Tamir Katz at
http://www.geocities.com/tbkfitness/.  He has a lively mind and an exercise
program for sale at a very low price.  He does not make as much of the
evolutionary framework as Art appears to do.

A useful review of the available information on food is at
http://www.paleodiet.com/ .  You will find a wide range of views there,
some contradicting the others and enough URLs to keep you off the streets
for a few weeks.  For information on dietary supplements check
http://www.extique.com/

For the exercises, try Pavel Tsatsouline at http://www.dragondoor.com/, and
for weights check http://www.wlinfo.com/ and
http://fochtman.www6.50megs.com/dinosaurtrainingstorefront.htm  The key
features seem to be intensity, variety and a minimal use of machines: body
weight, free weights and vigorous, playful activities.  No steady-state
aerobic exercise.

For the more scientific evolutionary approach check
http://www.goanimal.com/welcome/welcome.html and
http://www.colostate.edu/Colleges/CAHS/ess/cordain.htm and http://www.world-
of-dawkins.com/default.asp
This last site has a host of stimulating links.

Hope this personal list helps.

Keith