From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:33:55 -0400
Duck:
The term "registered" is not used in the sense of being registered with
some organization such as UL, so there is no central list available. It
refers to the design of the RAM circuit boards: They include an onboard
chip that controls when the read and write cycles take place. The
requirement for registered DDR RAM arises from the faster bus speeds
used in the newer motherboards, and is an integral part of the
motherboard design. Registered DDR RAM is available from the major RAM
suppliers (Crucial, Mushkin and similar companies come to mind). The bad
news is that it costs more than conventional memory, but that's what
happens when you build a top end system.
Good luck,
Carroll Grigsby

\"Duck\" McDonald wrote:

> I'm wanting to build an Athlon system and see that motherboards only support
> multibil sticks of DDR RAM if it is "registered DDR RAM". Is thare a list
> somewher of DDR RAM that is registered?  What is the different in
> "registered" DDR RAM and non-registered DDR RAM?
>
> Thanks
> "Duck" McDonald

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com