From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 23:49:56 -0700
Yes, I have had a ABIT BX6 rev 2 BIOS fry when I attempted a flash. It is
more common then you think which is why manufacturers advise you not to
flash a BIOS unless you have a good reason to do so.

First try the ABIT emergency restore procedure using the ABIT BIOS backup
that  you made when you flashed the BIOS. ABIT has a step by step procedure
for this posted on their web site. If you haven't read their How to Flash
your BIOS FAQ then do so now.  Did you use the jumper to clear the BIOS
before you attempted the reboot? This is in the ABIT instructions on
flashing the BIOS.

  If nothing else works try pulling everything off the board and  shorting
the BIOS by holding the battery spring lead down to the bottom. Hold it
there for 15 seconds and then let it sit a while. Reassemble and then try
to POST with just the essentials installed on the board. If it POSTS then
immediately go into the BIOS and Load Defaults....save ...exit out
...reboot. If it boots to a floppy you can reboot and  go in and setup the
BIOS  to your specifications.

In the worse case you can usually have a new BIOS burned for around 20 to
30 bucks. There are vendors who will do this with a EPROM burner, They
provide the BIOS chip and you provide the code. Depending on the Board it
may be more cost and trouble then it is worth.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group

>I just flashed the BIOS on my dad's PC (an ABIT SE-6) Mobo. The flash
>progressed normally and all appeared normal. When the process finished, I
>attempted to reboot, but got no post. I get no video, beeps, or anything
>that gives me a clue to the problem. I downloaded the correct Bios from
>the Abit web-site. I have never had any similar problems when flashing,
>and have flashed several Mobos previously. I suspect something caused the
>integrated video to go bad. I will try to find a PCI or AGP video card in
>my junk pile, install it and see if it will boot then. My question is has
>any body had a similar problem, and if so were you able to resolve it
>short of a new Mobo?
>TIA
>Jay Merritt

                     visit our download web page at: