Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 20:01:03 -0400
Hi Debra,

>>I am not currently eating paleo since i do eat some grain.  I am wanting to
>>try eating fully paleo but wanted more info first plus i seem to have to
plan really well.  whenever i tried to cut out grain in the past I was just
ssoooo hungry.

My reply;
You probably didn't eat enough food when you tried eliminating grains in the
past.  To avoid ketosis while breastfeeding, and avoid feeling empty if/when
you cut out grains, you will need to eat a larger food volume at each meal
(vegetables and many whole fruits are less calorie dense than grains) and
you may need to eat more often. You may need to eat four, rather than three,
meals a day.

For the same amount of carbs and calories in EACH of these grain foods:
1/2 slice of bread, 1 small breadstick, 1/5 cup (3 tabelspoons) cooked rice,
1/4 bagel, 1/4 of a pita pocket, 1/2 ounce cold cereal, a 1-inch square of
cornbread, 1/2 ounce of croutons, 1/3 cup cooked oatmeal, or 1/4 cup cooked
pasta,

you could eat ANY of the following:
1/3 cup baked sweet potato (1/3 of a 4 ounce tuber)
1/2 cup blueberries or pineapple
1/2 large grapefruit or orange
3 apricots
1 nectarine, plum, or peach
3/4 cup melon
1 cup strawberries or raspberries
12 asparagus spears
1/4 pound baby carrots
2 tomatoes
1 1/2 cucumbers
3 1/2 cups steamed spinach
2 bell peppers
2 heads romaine lettuce
4 cups raw broccoli, cauliflower, or brussels sprouts (before cooking)
10 cups endive, watercress, or escarole
20 cups spinach

See the difference in calorie density? You not only can eat more food, but
you have to, if you cut out grains, and fried/processed, or sugared foods.

To keep your energy up, I'd suggest a modest portion (maybe the size of the
palm of your hand) of eggs, fish, skinless fowl, or lean meat at each meal
with a generous portion of non-starchy leafy green/fibrous vegetables, and a
serving of roots, tubers, squash, or fruit. If the meat/fish/fowl is lean,
add a small amount of nuts, nutbutter, avocado, seeds, olive or flax oil, or
unrefined coconut butter.

Great to hear that you are breastfeeding!

In health,

Rachel Albert-Matesz
The healthy cooking coach