From:
Cheyenne Loon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:32:32 -0700
Kevin Raper wrote:
>The hunting wouldn't have been as bad if the white man had not killed
>off the Buffalo.

True, down in your parts.  But up in Cree country, where we've never
seen hide nor hair of the buffalo at all, the bad hunting often had to
do with the naturally occurring low in the cycles of animal
populations. Sometimes the low cycles for several species - e.g.
rabbit, moose, beaver - would all coincide within in the same year, and
human starvation would result. Some of these lows over the past century
have been well-documented, via the Elders' verbal anecdotes as well as
in government and fur trader's written records.

Cheyenne

p.s. Dori, that aricle "About Buffalo" must have been an advert for
buffalo meat, right? I especially love the question, "are buffalo
mean?" Haha.  Would they be better-tasting if they were "nice"?....Too
bad they've bought into the notion that the yellow fat on grassfed
animals is "not pleasing in the marketplace".

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/