From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:45:05 -0500
On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:27:39 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>The laxative effect is a result of the insoluble fiber, making
>the seeds hard to digest.  Grinding them probably helps with this
>somewhat.

The grinding I do with my teeth.
It's a little harder than with other seeds,
because the seed shell is so fine and shining.
It takes quite long. If I eat a small handfull I have to be quiet for some
minutes (no phone calls to be expected.
The opposite of fast food.
But that's little effort for great food :-)

The insoluble fiber of various seeds feel very good for my stomach.
I don't think it's limit in its consumation.
The roman legions ate 6-800 g wheat every day.
Thats a *lot* of insoluble fiber.
But flax has some more, a substance which absorbs a lot of water and
increases volume. It can even harden inside the gut and make some
cement-like formations (surgery report from my father)

.. if eaten with insufficient fluid.

Amadeus