From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 23:55:16 -0600
At 11:36 PM 4/9/01 -0600, William Schnell wrote:
>09/04/01 14:21:17 PM, Paula <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>> OK, predigested, but how come it (kefir) tastes sour, while fresh milk
>>tastes sweet?
>>> Is my tongue lying to me?
>>Lactic acid (Bacteria pee)
>>
>Thats what I thought - but isn't lactic acid made from lactose by
bacteria, thereby reducing
>carbohydrate?

I have read on the Protein Power bulletin boards that some of the low carb
books out there say to subtract 8 carbs from the total listed on a
container of whole milk yogurt with active cultures because the bacteria
eats that much lactose...  and that the actual numbers on the labels
reflect the raw ingredients, not the end product.  Let me go find the
thread I read that in...

http://bbs.eatprotein.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004255.html

Not having read the books cited, I don't really know any details, but
thought it might be pertinent.

Dianne