From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:43:41 -0400
Todd Moody wrote:

><snip>
> Also, there is a "potency" issue connected with omega-3 fats.  I
> don't understand this very well, but I have read that only about
> a tenth of ALA actually gets converted to EPA/DHA.  For example,
><snip>

Yes, I've read elsewhere that ALA is inefficiently converted, and that
one shouldn't rely only on flax for DHA and EPA. I'd like to know more
about CLA, or conjugated linolenic acid. I've seen extravagant health
claims, and am wondering whether to supplement with it, or just rely on
pasture-fed beef. We get cheap organic beef from local pasture-fed
jersey cows that have been "retired".

Hilary McClure

ps: Here is a reference chart I put together that someone might find
interesting (try a monospaced font):

Saturated fatty acids (SFA):
Lauric Acid    C12:0
Myristic Acid  C14:0
Palmitic Acid  C16:0
Stearic Acid   C18:0

Monounsaturated fatty acid (MUFA):
Oleic Acid     C18:1 (n?)

Omega6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA):
Linoleic Acid                  C18:2n6    LA
Gamma Linolenic Acid           C18:3n6    GLA
Dihomogamma Linolenic Acid     C20:3n6    DGLA (or DLA)
Arachidonic Acid (AA)          C20:4n6    AA

Omega3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA):
Alpha Linolenic Acid           C18:3n3    ALA
Eicosapentaenoic Acid          C20:5n3    EPA
Docosahexaenoic Acid           C22:6n3    DHA
Docosatetraenoic Acid          C22:4n3    DTA

?:  4:0, 6:0, 8:0, 10:0, 15:0, 17:0, 20:0, 22:0, 24:0
?:  14:1, 16:1, 20:1, 22:1
?:  18:4, 20:4, 22:5

Fatty acid formula notation:
Cx:ynz, or Cx:y, w-z
x is # of carbons, y is # of double bonds, z is position of first double
bond.

GLA: human milk, borage, black currant, and evening primrose seed oils
DGLA: human milk, organ meats
AA: meats, dairy, some seafood
ALA: flax, green leafy vegetables
EPA, DHA: cold saltwater fish (salmon, cod, sardines, haddock, mackerel,
herring, cod liver oil)