From:
Mark Labbee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:26:45 -0500
I could not agree with you more Diane. The term "paleo" is bandied about on
this list in a very imprecise manner. Modern hunter/gatherers who lived 5k
years ago are no more relevant, from an evolutionary perspective, than
Mediterranean cultures who lived 5k years ago. The fact that Charles'
ancestors ate acorns and were healthy is interesting but I am not sure how
relevant it is in terms of adaptation. The above mentioned Mediterranean
cultures are healthy eating a diet that includes wheat. In fact the
so-called Mediterranean diet is considered one of the healthiest modern
diets. Interesting that the southern Mediterranean culures have been eating
wheat the longest.  That still does not make wheat paleo.

Mark

Obviously, I'm not making myself clear and sorry if I've pissed anyone off.
 Call it an occupational hazard, but I've made my living for quite a few
years trying to sort out the confusion folks get into by using technical
terms in a sloppy manner... so while I'm pretty laid back about most
things, red flags do pop up when I see a potential pitfall in muddled
terminology :)

Equally obviously, I'm the only one that sees this is a point of confusion,
so I'll just drop it...

Dianne