C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 08:40:40 -0500
It's where I got my start, too.  I did an internship in the summer of 1974 at the VA Central Office in DC, for the National Cemetery Systems dept.  No work for me to do, (except type address labels) but it still was a thrill to be a block away from the White House and be in the middle of history when Nixon resigned.  My boss had CP, to, and he would get on my case all the time because I smoked. I remember he threatened to take me to the local VA hospital to see all the men who were dying of throat or lung cancer from smoking cigarettes.

I would come to work on the bus (this was before I bought a car) and walk five blocks to the VA on Vermont Ave.  I would cross McPherson Park and I loved walking through the park on sunny mornings, although I would not have stayed there after dark, for at night it would get full of drug addicts.  What did bother me were all the Moonies who would try to force their pamphlets on me.

After graduation from college, I worked for the same agency in DC and then transferred to the regional office in Winston-Salem in 1976.  I quit to go to grad school in 1982 and have been working in the private sector ever since.

Oh, and I did finally quit smoking, in 1979!

Kat