From:
Todd Gruhn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:09:31 GMT
> Dianne Gronfors <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > I have been having trouble when my computer declines to shut down (I've been
> > reading about this in PCsoft).  What I want to know is if there is some way
> > to configure something so that when this happens I can physically shut my
> > computer off?  The way my computer is set up, my on/off switch is
> > inoperative.  My only recourse is to do a reset, wait for the scan to
> > complete and then shut down.  I have had a look at the power management
> > tools but I don't understand what it does.  I'm running Win98SE.  I have
> > really appreciated the help from this list.  Hope someone knows the solution
> > to this too.  Thanks. Dianne Gronfors

Try the Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown patch from Microsoft.

This is the hyperlink to Microsoft's download page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured
/Win98SE/Default.asp

Your system more than likely uses ATX "Soft" power off.  To circumvent the O/S
shutting down the system, hold the power button in for five to eight seconds.

Todd
Gruhn

This message was sent using MailMan from http://mailman.texoma.net.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,