Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Glenn Josephson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 18:39:00 -0400
Hi Gordon.
Unfortunately, in order for you to go to a 1.2 Ghz Athlon, you will have to
get a new motherboard. There is no way to make a PII mobo compatible with
the Athlon. For one thing, the 1.2 Ghz Athlon Tbird is a socket CPU, not
slot. Also, the Athlon is based on the DEC Alpha bus, which is totally
incompatible with the Pentium architecture. You'd also want to use PC133
RAM, which your mobo will not support. The Athlons also require a completely
different chipset than Intel CPUs. That said, if you do decide to switch, I
recomment the Abit KT7A motherboard. I run one with a 1Ghz Athlon and I'm
very happy with it. Very stable, and it's great for overclocking if you want
to do that.

Glenn