Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
ardeith l carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 13:56:26 -0400
On Mon, 2 Apr 2001 10:15:12 -0500 Justin Hasselman
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> I was curious as to where I could find info on modern day HGs.
> Videos, websites, magazines, books, etc would all be helpful.

Ardeith writes:
I'd suggest starting with the National Geographic's web-site...
Check your local library and see if NatGeo's videos are available
to rent.....NatGeo has done mountains of work reporting on how
HG's around the world have been living for the last 100 years.

Justin sent:
> The question I'm trying to answer is this: Are the modern day HGs,
> on average, more pleased with their lives than, for example, the
> average American?

Ardeith writes:
From my own studies in Anthropology, I'd say "yes"....
HG's find all that they need for their life style right to
hand....all around them....They have periods of hard
work followed by plenty of time for storytelling, art,
drumming and dancing to boot.   An old NatGeo
article showed that for a couple of hours of intensive
gathering, a clan could collect enough food to take
care of their needs for several days.....this was all
sorts of plant foods, plus all sorts of "small" game
....the hunters brought in "big" game when they
wanted to put forth the effort......
Most of this stuff is available from your local
library and/or on the internet.......

Justin sent:
> Many paleo dieters view the HG lifestyle as enjoyable, maybe even
> more enjoyable than our lives in the 9 to 5 world we live in.  If this
is
> true, then I would suspect there have been people who have left their
> lives to join the HGs... or maybe just join a group of HGs for a
vacation or
> brief getaway.

Ardeith writes:
HG's don't have books, magazines, movies, or TV
to tell them they need to buy, buy, buy....everything
under the sun.....They don't have media creating the
desire for more, bigger, shinier, newer things all
the time.....so they are on average content with what
they have.....which I don't thing our people can say.
I know I can survive in Florida on a HG system...
but that's because I set out to learn how.....I said
"survive"....I didn't say I'd enjoy it.....I like my
flush toilet, and hot showers, and a comfortable
chair to sit upon.............
As for joining HG's.....I don't want to....I like
my flush toilet, etc.......but some people in the
world have done so.....and been happy in the
doing........but I doubt that you could really
understand what it's all about during a two
week vacation.......

Justin:
> Any info along these lines would be appreciated.  I would like to
> learn in great detail what the modern day HG lifestyle is like... and
the
> pros and cons of it when compared to our current everyday lifestyle.

Ardeith writes:
You just have to visit the library or search the internet....
the info is there......
IMO....the pro:  an intimate connection with the world
all around you............the con:  flush toilets, hot showers,
books to feed my mind..........

Walk The Path With Practical Feet!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.