From:
Jeannie Lopez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 11:21:36 -0400

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to summarize the responses I got. I'm off to Brazil today &
will write in some more things when I return . . .

----

I really had no trouble eating ... certainly no more than here in the
US.  I ate at some Fast Food place named Americas (in many shopping
malls), the marvelous Brasilian Barbacoa (barbecue ... meat on the
swords, etc), restaurant in my hotel, etc.  Salad bars are plentiful
with beautiful greens, cheeses, and melons. Stick with grilled chicken
and fish and meat at the Barbacoa ... you will love it!

----

We used to live in Sao Paulo.  If you eat at the Churrascarias, you will
have PLENTY of meat to eat!  They're basically serving you slices of
different kinds of grilled meats.  Wonderful.  And remember, any time you
are overseas, especially in South America, don't use ice cubes in your
drinks (they usually serve the drinks chilled anyway) and don't eat the
salads unless you are absolutely positive that the ingredients have been
washed well (of course, THIS tip has nothing to do with Celiac disease, just
staying away from those nasty microscopic amoebas and such).  Pao de Queijo
(translated "cheese bread", like Chebe bread here in the U.S.) SHOULD be
safe according to the standard Brazilian recipe, BUT you need to ask the
chef first to be sure that no variations were made.  In South America,
especially in Brazil, they have their own way of getting around obstacles or
problems (called "jeitinho") so that's why you have to ask about the
ingredients.

----

I had NO PROBLEMS eating there.  They have great barbecue places that
you pay one price and get a HUGE selection of foods.  If you like meat,
this place is for you.  But they also have big salad bars like I have
never seen.They also serve manioc bread there which is gluten free.  I
would brush up up on how to say I AM ALLERGIC TO WHEAT in Portuguese if
I were you just to be sure.  If you cannot have milk, they have a great
beverage in many stores that is a soy drink flavored with orange or
strawberry.  I had no problems eating there at all.

----

get the water filter..then you don't have to worry at all..it makes mud
potable.  Bottled water is safe.."sem sal" is without salt..food canbe
salty....  Is tourmaline mined in Brasil?  Those are the best buys.  You
can also check out the Govern't store in Rio for unmounted
stones..really the cheapest...Silver stuff is really great downthere...

You will neet an adapter for electricity.  Do not rely on room
svc...stuff is usually awful...that's why I bring pb and tuna   Bring
powdered milk or sanipack milk.....watch our for Parmalatt..they use
wheat to make it long life.

In Bahia, there is a special show at Seneca, with a meal that is up on a
roof top...shows the development of samba....really good and the view is
not to bebelieved...

----

On the way down...make sure you drink one 8oz bottle of water for each
hour you are on the plane. I assume you are travelling Varig...they are
good...just tell them what you need.

Salvador is a GREAT city. My daughter was born there.  If you rent DONNA
FLOR AND HER TWO HUSBANDS, by Amado you will see how gorgeous that town
is...it was modelled  after Lisbon when it was built in the 15
C...overlooks a wonderful bay.  If you get a change, rent Disney';s THE
THREE CABALLEROS...it takes place in Baia....BTW, Not to worry about
language..I used to tell my clients to take their hs French or Spanish
and put a Samba to it...and you have Portuguese!  True!

There are bbq places everywhere called Churascarias..in fact my fav is
in Bahia, right on the Atlantic...probably still there, altho I cannot
remember the name..Lots of tours around...near the church of Sao
Francisco is alovely shopping area...look at amethysts..very
cheap...darker the better...buy begggars's necklases of various stones
for a song...great gifts..get them restrung when you get back. Also in
this area are lacemaking shops....gorgeous stuff..inexpensive Do try
fresh cashew and caju juices...wonderful! nothing like here...To be on
the safe side, bring a nasa approved water filter[they are smalland can
be found at sporting or camping stores]...better to be safe.

Brasil uses corn more than wheat incooking, esp in Bahia.

The trick to not gettting sick and having toworship at the srhine of the
white porcelain goddess to NOT TO CONSUME COW'S MILK...I got this tip
from my dr who is from India and travels alot [he is vp of the World
Homeopathic Association]...it;s not that the milk isnot good..it's a
different butterfat. It really makes a difference.  I always travel with
the homeopathic remedy ARSENICUM ALB 30C for diarrhea...2 pillsunder the
tongue as needed.

Almost forgot thisone....take the pillow from the plane with
you....their pillows in
hotels are two inches flat.

At the Bahia airport is a bookstores..get Brasilian cookbooks...desserts
are usually gf....

When you leave you can get a tourist pkg of Melita coffee for very
cheap....makes good presents, too.

Bargain, Bargain, Bargain and then bargain more!  great fun! for
snacks...bring rice cakes and pb. along with protein bars.  Breakfast in
your hotel will knock your socks off..a huge buffet the length of the
place...most of it gf, and there is usually someone there to make you
omlettes...try the red papaya...juices are watery,tho..haven't figured
out why...Bring Sun Block...and use it....sun is very strong and you
can't find the stuff down there..they think itis unnatural.  Let me know
if you have any specific questions....oh yes, do not throw our any paper
they give you at customs whenyou enter..you haveto turn them back when
you leave....there is a good money exchange at Rio airport on lower level...

Thanks everybody for your input!

-Jeannie