From:
Tami Berget <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 07:16:10 -0700

My question concerned whether or not the following additives were GF (they
weren't on the safe/forbidden list I had).  Thanks to all for your help.

Silicon Dioxide - on a jar of garlic salt
Monocalcium Phospate - Calumet baking powder
Smoke flavoring - Hormel Real Bacon Pieces
Sodium Phosphates - Hormel Real Bacon Pieces
Potassium Chloride - Hormel Real Bacon Pieces
Potassium Sorbate - Tang Berry Panic flavored drink
Calcium Disodium EDTA - Tang Berry Panic flavored drink

Those are all minerals & chemicals and therefore gluten free.

*******************************

I'm not sure about the specific ingredients, but Hormel Real Bacon Bits and
Calumet baking powder are both gluten free.  We have called each company.

*******************************

I think the only thing here you have to worry about is the smoke
flavoring.

*******************************

The following may help:-
Silicon dioxide ( basically fine sand) to improve flow.
monocalcium phosphate)
sodium phosphates) probably acidity regulators
potassium chloride-salt substitute
potassium sorbate
calcium disodium EDTA
All these chemicals are GF in their pure form,I am not sure what constitutes
the Smoke flavours.

********************************

There is a book out by Ruth Winters that lists additives, etc.  A CONSUMER'S
DICTIONARY OF FOOD ADDITIVES, it is probably in the 4th or 5th revision.
Well worth the price (although I do not know the current price.)
Silicon Dioxide is GF, Calumet baking powder is GF, Smoke flavoring may be
GF - although a fairly large percentage of our support group get bad
reactions to any smoke flavoring (one of those strange coincidences).
Sodium Phosphates are GF, Potassium Cholride is GF, Potassium Sorbate is GF,
as Calcium Disodium.  Hope this helps

******************************

  Ingredients and their uses

    http://www.kashrus.org/kosher/chem.html

*******************************

I would suggest you to go to this other excellent site:
http://forums.delphi.com/n/main.asp?webtagiliac&nav=messages
and ask your questions there.

Very caring and knowledgeable people there to answer your questions.

There's a book, 'consumer's dictionary of  "FOOD ADDITIVES"',written by Ruth
Winter, M.S. that you may like to purchase. The ISBN number is 0-517-88195-0
I bought mine in March of 1998 and it was the 4th edition. They have a bit
to say, about the food additives you questioned.  Have to admit some of
their comments are "above my head". But thought you'd like to be aware of
the book, as it may help you at times, as it has for me.