From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:28:42 -0700

Oooops! This is my week for mistakes. I was wrong again. Ethylene glycol
is antifreeze. Polyethylene glycol is only an emulsifying agent,
lubricant, plasticizer, waxes and virulent laxitive often used in
detergents. The US Army does use it to deice aircraft wings also
recommends: "Polyethylene glycol as an ice control coating."  URL:
http://www.utoronto.ca/env/lib_hold/db1/files/5575.htm

Here's what my computer dictionary says: "antifreeze   n.a liquid, as
ethylene glycol, used in the radiator of an internal-combustion engine
to lower the freezing point of the cooling medium."

As opposed to: "polyethylene glycol   n.any of a series of polymers
of ethylene glycol, used as an emulsifying agent and lubricant.

American Heritage Dic:
"NOUN:

                  Any of a family of colorless liquids with high
molecular weight that are soluble in water and in many organic solvents
and are used in detergents and as emulsifiers and plasticizers."

"gly,ol   n.1. a colorless, sweet liquid, C2H6O2, used chiefly as an
automobile antifreeze and as a solvent. 2. any of a group of alcohols
containing two hydroxyl groups."

You might also be interested in knowing that polyethylene glycol is used in
the hospital as a strong laxitive to clean the bowels before surgery,
sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy. From WebMD Canada. The trade names for
straight polyethylene glycol used as a colon cleansing agent are: GoLYTELY,
Miralax, and Colyte. "The polyethylene glycol (pol-ee-ETH-i-leen GLYE-
col) (PEG) and electrolytes solution is used to clean the colon (large
bowel or lower intestine) before certain tests or surgery of the colon.
The PEG-electrolyte solution is usually taken by mouth. However,
sometimes it is given in the hospital through a nasogastric tube (a tube
inserted through the nose).

                         The PEG-electrolyte solution acts like a laxative.
It causes liquid stools or mild diarrhea. In this way, it flushes all
solid material from the colon, so the doctor can have a clear view of
the colon."

I did get polyethylene glycol confused with ethylene glycol which is
antifreeze. But there are two kinds of antifreeze: one is the red kind, and
the other is the yellow green kind that is deadly immediately. Polyethylene
glycol is just a lubricant :) But it's obviously closely related and still
makes me sick every time I get it in something I eat.

On the other hand, of those who have replied so far, no one else seems to
have a problem with it, except for one person who said: "Don't use
Citracal, but have to avoid pg. Can't use cosmetics that have
it in; it makes my skin burn."

And another who said: "Why don't you take the Vitamin Shoppe calcium
citrate? It is in capsule form, dry, and has no additives. Do you have
one of the stores nearby or you can order it online. The
vitalminshoppe.com  . . .  I empathize with you as I am very sensitive too."

-vance