From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 21:13:44 -0400
Mary wrote:

> At the supermarket store near me, they told me all the salmon and trout is
> farmed. What fish species would be good for Omega 3 and which would be
> wild??Thanks, Mary
>
> ps I go also to the Asian market and can get almost any species there but I
> need to know which ones are wild and which are farmed.

Yeah, farmed fish is a bad deal. They feed them a lot of grain,
fish-meal, liver pellets, and antibiotics. But most local fish in the
lower 48, fresh water or ocean, is too polluted to be safe. Alaskan
salmon is not only wild, but also very low in pollutants and high in n3.
The only way you can get it where I live is to drive about an hour, and
pay a BUNDLE, or get the canned stuff. I'm checking out buying it
direct. If you want to check this out, go to <www.alaskaseafood.org>
then click on "Marketing" then "Suppliers Directory". You will get a
huge list of Alaskan vendors for a variety of fresh, frozen, and canned
fish, especially salmon. They have phone numbers and email addresses.
Minimum orders range from ten pounds to one thousand. I still don't know
if the prices are manageable. You have to get definite shipping costs,
which I haven't done yet. If only they wouldn't put so much salt in the
canned stuff, and wouldn't use can coatings that leach bisphenol-A. They
may have to change the can coatings to satisfy the EU, but not until
2002. For now, I'm eating canned Alaskan salmon anyway, because I think
the positives outweigh the negatives. Some people say the heat of
canning is bad, but I doubt that, and have yet to see any documentation
for it. Frozen salmon should be excellent. A lot of them do
flash-freezing right on the boat. It freezes so fast that it makes very
small ice crystals in the cells so there is very little cell-wall
rupturing. It's even good for sushi. You could load up your freezer, or
can a bunch yourself in glass quart jars (I think you need to use a
pressure canner, which costs over $100 (ours was $15 at a yard sale).
 If you do hook up with a good source I'm probably not the only one on
the list who would like to know about it.

Hilary McClure
Danville, VT