GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamine Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 06:57:37 -0500
Comrades:

This is a warning to comrades in the struggle
that they should be aware of Tombong Saidy's
tactics.  He is a man who does not keep to his
words.  This man lied to us by giving silly
excuses by refusing to answer important
questions posted to him.

We will be doing him a favor by engaging him
in debates.  He is trying to promote himself
by being the big mouth piece of the butcher of
kaninlai.  Please be aware.

On another note, The Point reported the
following and I quote:

"Lt. Landing Sanneh yesterday appeared before Justice Kabalata who acquitted
and discharged him based on a Nolle Prosequi introduced by the Director of
Public Prosecutions. But as soon as he stepped out of the courtroom, about
six military officers re-arrested him, and took him to Mile Two Prisons just
outside Banjul. The nolle prosequi submission was filed by the DPP Chief
Agim before Justice Kabalata.

The submission sought from the court to discontinue the charges against Lt.
Landing Sanneh. The judge then proceeded to acquit and discharge him
accordingly. Sanneh's lawyer Ousman Sillah who was present did not object,
but told the DPP that if they re-arrest him, it would tantamount to a
contempt of court. But the DPP retorted that they were going to come up with
fresh charges.

It would be recalled that some couple of months ago, the former Attorney
General P.O.C. Secka promised that Lt. Sanneh would be brought before a
court martial. Sanneh, who was charged for treason, was accused together
with late Lt. Almamo Manneh of attempting to overthrow the government in
January 2000. The other officers who were suspected of complicity in the
alleged plot were reportedly recently re-instated in the armed forces.

Omar A. Jallow (OJ) former Agriculture Minister under the PPP regime has
described Decree 89 as a violation of the fundamental, civic and human
rights of individuals and organisations that have legally registered as
political parties. Mr. Jallow, who spoke in an exclusive interview, said
these parties were legally registered as political parties, and the
individuals affected are citizens that have not been taken to a court of law
and convicted. "We are not criminals.

Even if we are convicted by a court of law after serving our sentence we
have the right to participate, to organise and to join any party of our
choice, like any other citizen. Therefore, we see this decree as very
discriminatory in terms of citizens popular participation and of every
citizen having the option to choose which party to join", he opined. OJ
further said they have been seeing the violation of this decree by the very
Government itself, adding "Because Buba Baldeh of the Youth, Sports and
Culture Ministry in the same Cabinet where I served is now not only a Member
of the APRC, which violates Decree 89, but has been given an office as
deputy mobiliser of the ruling APRC.

Therefore, in effect, the very government that should see to it that the
laws are respected has violated them. So now I can say it is an open season,
and the floodgates are open to all of us to participate and carry out our
political activities," he said. On the proposed constitutional amendments,
OJ said this should be a matter of concern to everybody, since some of the
issues to be raised, and the clauses that are going to be changed, will
affect the fundamental principles of the constitution.

"We are going to have a constitution that would make the whole Gambian
people answerable to one individual, that is, the president rather than the
president being answerable to the people. This is a very serious matter, and
now is the right time, before amendments are instituted and implemented,
that all those people that are peaceloving Gambians should stand up and
speak out against the amendments", he pointed out.

"The amendments are contrary acts and an insult to democracy, the rule of
law and respect for citizens rights, and an affront to participatory
democracy. I see no reason why we should allow one individual to arrogate to
himself all the power", he noted. He further pointed out that should the
amendments be allowed to go through, then the country will have an absolute
dictator, adding "we are going to build a monarchy, and that is not good for
the county", he said."

Comrades, with the trend of things going on in
The Gambia, it is disturbing that Tombong is
engaging in cyber lies.  I have known Hon. O.J.
Jallow since 1977.  He is man of character and
a fighter for the oppressed.  His revelation of
political instability and dictatorship should
serve a notice to us that Tombong does not know
what he is talking about.

Tombong can fool some of the people some of the
time, and most of the people most of the time,
but not all of the people all of the time.
Please watch-out for Tombong's lies.

Please let us remain strong.  We are in this
struggle to win.  Long live democracy and down
with dictator yahya jemus.  May Tombong's lies
have no effects on our struggle.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh