Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:10:18 -0400
P & L Ventura posted:
>>Some time ago, I came across a reference to hunter-gatherers using wood
>>ash as sort of a seasoning or salt on their food.  As an organic
gardener, I'm aware of the soil-alkalizing and mineral-rich properties
of wood ash.....I was wondering if anyone here has come across this subject?
------------------------------
My reply:
As a matter of fact, when I was into macrobiotics, we used to buy something
called Tequezquite, which we used to leaven and season cornbread without
baking powder or baking soda.  It added a great flavor.

I dug out a cookbook I still have, *FRESH:  From a Vegetarian Kitchen* by
Meredith McCarty.  From page 39:
"Native Americans traditionally processed cornbread with 'culinary ash.' The
ash softened the grain fiber.  It is known that it also imparted minerals
such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, and other trace elements to the
bread, and made several amino acids more available to the body.  They soaked
the ashes in boiling water until the water cooled... "

Tequezquite (teck-e-SkEE-tay) comes from the Indian word 'tequixquitl' which
means 'stone-like thing.  Found in several lakes in Mexico, it has been used
for centuries by the indigenous people there for cooking, as a source of
salt, as an antacid, for skin ailments, and as a hair conditioner.  it is a
compound of slats and sodium carbonates created by the decomposition of
volcanic rock adn the biological action of microalgae.

Tequezquite comes in the form of a powdered, grey clay.  It is dissolved in
boiling water.  When the solids settle to the bottom, and the solution has
cooled, only the liquid is used as a leaveing in place of baking soda or
powder.  it brings otu the flavor and color of grain corn and makes it
softer.... a good source of minerals including salt. (Analysis shows
tequezquite contains 86.99% clay, organic matter, etc. and 12.01% salts
[Ja2C03, NaCl, K Cl, and Na2S04])"

Tequezquite darkens the breads a little and has a wonderful, earthly flavor.
As a leavening agent, it gives a slight rise and cake-like crumb.  This
cornbread is dense compared to baking powder and egg breads, but very
delicious," writes Meredith McCarty.

The product was available for a time, from GoldMine Natural Foods, a mail
order natural foods company in San Diego, then ceased being available about
8 or more years ago... The source in the US was allegedly one old guy who
made trips to Mexico to bring it back here.

I believe that this product (the water the ash had soaked in, not the ash
directly) was also used as a seasoning for beans, but we never tried it in
anything but the cornbread (back in our grain eating days).

Hope that helps!

Rachel