From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:03:22 -0600
Don't even get me started...

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/living/DailyNews/prehistoricdiet010612.html

T O R O N T O, June 12 —

For two weeks, Tom Ransom ate like a prehistoric man.

No potato chips or French fries. Just lots of fruits, vegetables and nuts.
"I had to eat 20 pounds of fruits and vegetables a day," Ransom says,
exaggerating the amount of fiber he ate, which was actually 100 grams a day.
"I wouldn't say it was enjoyable, but tolerable."

Although paleontologists do not know what hominids — our human-like
ancestors who walked on two legs — ate millions of years ago, the
researchers say gathering available foodstuffs, such as greens and fruits,
played a larger role in our early development than hunting small animals.

Diet Lowered Cholesterol

The study diet, which had a total of 2,500 calories, was high in fiber and
did not havecholesterol-laden meats, cheese or butter implicated in heart
disease.

After one week on the diet, the researchers found that participants' bad
cholesterol levels dropped by 33 percent.

"The changes were very fast," says Dr. David Jenkins, a professor of
nutritional science at St. Michael's Hospital of the University of Toronto
and leader of the study. "We noticed significant changes within one week."

The decrease was more than with some cholesterol-lowering drugs, Jenkins
says, and more than that of subjects eating the so-called Mediterranean diet
of grains and starches, and the modern low-fat diet recommended by the
American Heart Association.

The study results were published in the April issue of the medical journal
Metabolism.  Fran Berkoff, a nutritionist with the Mount Sinai Hospital in
Toronto, says the results underline the value of eating more soluble fiber,
and fruits and vegetables.

But for the general population, which struggles to meet the recommended five
to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables, a prehistoric diet is probably too
drastic.

Incorporating more of these foods into today's diets, however, may be a
feasible alternative, Jenkins says.