From:
ardeith l carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 11:55:25 -0400
On Sun, 3 Jun 2001 17:59:27 -0400 Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> I'm sure that if I sat down to a bowl of Navy beans I'd
> experience some distress later, but the amount in this stew
> didn't bother me at all.

Ardeith writes:
OK.....dried beans, soaked in water and cooked, give
me flatulence(sp?).....and I've read here that beans
contain some compounds that are anti-paleo...or just
bad for you........but I fail to see quite how beans
can really be considered un-paleo.    Native Americans
planted with sharp sticks and bone tools....and planted
beans with their corn and pumpkins or whatever.
Beans were and are a staple in many tribal cultures in
Africa and India today, and chick-peas are important
to Eastern Mediterrean diets........

Dried beans are easy to pack and carry along on
a tribal person's travels......you just soak them in
your hide pot overnight, cook them up the next
morning, and eat them during the day....along with
whatever greens, fruit, insects, or other meat
source you find.     For the sake of brevity, I'm
considering all dried peas and beans as "beans".

If we're judging by the remains found in midden
heaps around the world, we know that only
shells, some bones, pieces of clay pots, and
bits of charcoas are preserved over long ages......
and plant pollens sometimes.......most other organic
bits that were thrown in a midden heap were eaten
by ants or other bugs, or just rotted away before
being "preserved".......

I'll grant you that the only midden heaps I've worked
on cataloging were from North Florida.....dating back
two or three thousand years......but those ancestors
used bone/stone/stick tools and gathered all sorts of
seafood, land animals, and made clay pots....crude
pots, but pots nonetheless......several varieties of
peas are native to Florida and are edible today...
so I don't doubt they were used by the ancestors.

So, someone please tell me again why peas and
beans are not Paleo..............

Walk The Path With Practical Feet!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.