From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:07:08 EDT
In a message dated 4/19/01 12:59:40 AM, Charles Alban <[log in to unmask]
writes:

<< In a message dated 4/18/01 1:23:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Since I've upped my intake of fish oil to 12 g/day, I've coincidentally
 been eating both lower carbs and lower calories. >>

Why are you consuming fish oil - why don't you just eat fish? I'm not
surprised you don't feel like eating, if this is the sort of thing you eat!
Have a nice piece of dover sole with a rich creamy french sauce.

Charles >>

The fish dilemma has been discussed before and many problems remain, and most
likely will throughout this century. Some of the best sources of omega 3 oils
(salmon and trout) are almost exclusively farmed, and the wild sources are
difficult to come by and expensive. Farming changes the fatty acid balance in
fish just like it does in feedlot fed beef. I have found a source of Arctic
Char salmon which I buy about 3 or 4 times a month, at $9.99 a pound, which
to me, is quite pricey. Many of the other sources of oily fish, such as
mackerel, sea bass, and tuna are contaminated with mercury to the point where
it is prudent to sharply limit one's intake of these fish. Sardines and
kippers are good, not too expensive, and readily available, but come only
canned, salted and smoked. (This is a problem for me personally, in that
these products give me migraines, but other people may be wishing to avoid
these canned fish for the same or other reasons.) Other sources of omega 3s
such as the new high omega eggs and range fed beef are not only difficult to
locate, but often prohibitively expensive as well. Although fish oil capsules
were certainly not available to our paleo-relatives, most of the foods they
had access to are not available to many of us. The capsules would then seem
to be a good compromise.

I have tried several brands of these fish oil capsules, and found most of
them "repeat" on me, indicating that they may be rancid. The brand I now take
doesn't do this. It is Norwegian Fish Oil from Advanced BioSolutions, a
company run by the complementary physician Stephen Sinatra, MD.
WWW.Sinatra.com  (I have no financial interest in this or any other product.)
The recommendation is one capsule twice daily, or more if necessary. I am
confused as to how many capsules would equal a serving of fish. The label
says, per one capsule, total fat, one gram; EPA, 100 mg.; and DHA, 150 mg.
Does that mean that taking, for example, 12 grams of fish oil a day would
equal 12 capsules ? And how does that compare to a serving of fish ?

Thanks,
Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY