From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:23:32 -0600
At 10:12 AM 4/15/01 -0600, Lynnet Bannion wrote:
>Bronwen wrote:
>
>> *What is your opinion of drinking water with meals?
>
>What I've read is that drinking large quantities of water, especially ice
water,
>with
>meals interferes with digestion.

Most of the times I've seen this the theory has been that it would dilute
stomach acids; I find this reason suspect, at best.

However, two things I've noticed:  1) temperature seems to sometimes make a
bit of a difference in comfort levels for me--drinking a liquid at a
similar temperature to what I'm eating seems best and 2) drinking lots of
water in general can lead to a bloated feeling--this feeling seems a bit
more obvious when it includes food, although that may simply be because I'm
more likely to be focusing on what my stomach feels like at that time!

re:  nuts

Given their high fat content, I find it best to at least refrigerate and if
possible freeze them.  If you can find raw ones at a good price, they'll at
least keep that way!

And do look for the CSA's--used to have some near where I lived and it was
wonderful, although I had to go in on it with friends <g>.  Unfortunately,
there's no one within any reasonable distance of where I live now!  Which
is especially too bad--I feed my parrots as much raw, organic produce as I
can get, and my dogs eat it, too...  *now* I could probably use the stuff
up if I had it!

And welcome.

Oh yeah, you mentioned losing weight...  the paleodiet dovetails well with
the low carb type diets out there, with a bit more restriction on the
foods.  I've found it useful to read up on Atkins and Protein
Power--especially the latter--for more information specifically dealing
with that aspect.  I don't know if it would help, but thought I'd mention it.

Dianne