Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:59:05 -0600
Subject: Re: [P-F] Eating like a sled dog
> ><<Fats and protein are the most important sources of
energy for a
> >sled dog. The ratio of fat and protein varies depending
on the distance to
> >be run and the time spent running, however,
> >certain minimum requirements have been determined.
> >A typical diet consists of 32% protein, 15% carbohydrates
and 53% fat.>>

> We are more like dogs than sheep (or rats).
>
> BTW the dog sled site has some comments about human diet.
They know
> about sled dogs, not human diet.

Most probably they do!

With  apologies to yo'all,  who own Dogs,  Same as you;  I
treat my Dog kindly!

When I was in Alaska:  In the Anchorage Newspapers there
were LOUD editorials about sled dog owners  (1955);

The problem;  One five year old child was killed and eaten
by starving dogs chained up  in the front yard in  a
residential area.

The cause of the problem;  Some dog team owners starved the
dogs all summer to save money.  Hopefully  Anchorage has by
now  46 years later done something about it.

I suggest be very wary of the Sled Dog  fu! fura!   try the
Racing Greyhound mess.   I grew up  (for a while )  on a
farm;  I  recall most Farmers are kind to their animals but
a few are extremely cruel.

Must be the same as Sled Dogs-  Most are caring owners,  who
need to police the others to control the inevitable bad
apples

Now for REALITY-  maybe?

As a High School Student in 1940's  I eagerly read all books
in my local Library's about Hunting ,Trapping, Canada and
Alaska.

Some of these were truly  pertinent to P-F,  and I am  not
bragging - the Libraries were small in the 40's!  And there
was no TV ; so a book only took a couple of days to read.

Over   AND  Over   And     Over     again;          a book
about Trappers who spent the winter trapping in the north
had to take all their "store food"  in to the winter site
and  catch the rest at the site.

As I recall they always took some potatoes and Flour and
Bacon.    They took no dog food.

At their camp site they seined (using a net) whitefish and
froze them for dog food.

The only food the DOGS were given all winter were frozen
fish, mostly whitefish.

Those were long winters.

What is the vitamin composition of a whitefish--  It does
not matter--  the Dogs  thrived on them frozen solid and
then slept in the snow.

"EATING  like a sled dog"    Sounds interesting  but:    It
should NOW be changed to "Eating like a "modern" sled Dog!
As the Sled dogs of "Yore"  in this case  "Yore" is about
fifty years ago and the best evidence is that the Dogs were
on a starvation  diet anytime that  "free"   fish was not
available,  But  when they had to really work they got
plenty of mostly rock hard frozen fish to keep them strong.

Ever since Sled Dogs were available to the Northern People
they had to be fed well, or the Maters wood die also.   What
were they fed all winter??    Frozen Fish.

Just trying to put Real stuff into the Real world.

Regards,

Lorenzo