Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 19:45:15 -0600
 : [P-F] wild fish

> > > At the supermarket store near me, they told me all the
salmon and trout
> is
> > > farmed. What fish species would be good for Omega 3
and which would be
> > > wild??Thanks, Mary

***Wild Salmon are caught in large numbers in the summer off
the Canadian and Alaskan Coasts.  Search Alaska Salmon to
find out when they are shipped.  They will be mostly Red or
Sockeye, and  Coho and  Pink Salmon.    Wild canned Salmon
are labeled Red or Pink.   When Fresh Red Salmon have better
flavor,  canned it is hard to tell the taste difference,
easy to see the price difference.

> > > ps I go also to the Asian market and can get almost
any species there
> but I
> > > need to know which ones are wild and which are farmed.
>
> It seems most fish at Asian markets is farmed. They even
keep a lot of the
> fish alive in aquariums at the markets I sometimes go to.

Probably some farmed fish in Asia are not fed "Dog Food"
but they may never get to the USA.

If you have a pond you could raise fine Trout!  Plant lots
of weeds to provide a home for  insects and at night keep a
light bulb near the water so many insects are attracted!

The Wyoming Game and Fish place many thousands of small
Trout in our nearest Lake.  We avoid catching them until
they have been in the Lake for a year eating wild food.   I
use large hooks so they don't get hooked and since they stay
together I change places if I catch one.   Now I seldom ever
catch one as I know where they stay.

> I stick with swordfish, tuna (fresh or canned), sardines
(canned), and
> monkfish. These are not, to my knowledge, ever farmed.
They can be rather
> expensive though.

If you care not for the Mercury Scare then Swordfish is OK.

> I avoid all Atlantic salmon and all salmon except
specifically Alaskan wild
> salmon. I avoid all trout (it's all farmed as far as I can
see), tilapia
> (always farmed), etc. etc.

The tiny "salad shrimp" from Oregon are wild!   King and
Dungeness Crab are wild.

Albertson's is selling wild Clams.   Farmed Oysters are the
same as wild Oysters!

In one way I am very fortunate at this time.  The limit on
wild Trout or Salmon  here is six per person.  Sometimes
they are easy to catch.  We eat many of them from high
mountain waters each summer.  I  grew up in Oregon eating
many Salmon.  When I searched Google for Alaskan Salmon I
found pretty much what you need to know to get fresh Salmon.
(Farm raised Trout is awful.  No wild trout are sold to my
knowledge.
Regards,  Lorenzo