From:
Phosphor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 07:41:58 +0300
> You implied that 'we' should not eat animal products because there now are
6
> billion humans on earth and by our eating animal products others are made
> hungry

modern agriculture ironically tends to reduce food potential in the long
term by denaturing the soil and other associated factors.  Here in Australia
we now have severe salinity problems from water-intensive farming, and
threatens to destroy the whole agricultural system within 100 years.   Proof
that farming is simply not possible in great dimensions in Australia.  So
what to eat if you can't grow anything? well, there's millions of kangaroos
and emus...wild animals like these  can live in arid territory which is
completely unsuited for any kind of agricultural activity. They collect the
nutrients inaccessible for us, and we can eat them.  How simple is that?
Stupid aborigines who didn't know how to farm may have been on to something
after all.

Andrew