Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 23:38:47 -0700
Thomas:
 >Are you saying that there is not such a thing as
 >addiction to something generally healthy (when taken
 >to extremes)?

Of course there is.  The problem is in the way you went
about making some of your points.  Siobhan certainly
made some valid observations in this regard.  This said,
most people who come off at times as too obsessed
regarding their own health are usually dealing with very
complex health issues that no dietary approach
will remedy by itself.

 >However when your life gets consumed by that pursuit,
 >it does not bring happiness. I think good health is important.

Naturally, that is often the case.  But if you are dealing
with complicated health conditions, chances are neither will
just eating well and exercising.

  >And once again, I eat a basically paleo diet and I
  >exercise regulary. However, I do think that some
  >people believe that diet and exercise is a cure-all to
 >everything or they think that if they just find the
 >"perfect diet", or pursue diet more rigorously, that
 >they will obtain super health...

People like this who are also in reasonable health do exist.
But they are a small minority.

 >All I am saying is that diet and exercise are not cure-alls....
 >and some people go on for years thinking that they are.

True.  But like you they need to look a little deeper...

 >...there is no end to the search because there is always
 >somebody with a new diet or a new trick.

If you were facing serious health challenges yourself, I think
you would be a little more open-minded and express yourself
with a little more compassion and humility .

 >Very often there problem (as someone noted) derives
 >from a domain outside of physiology ...problems with society or
 >family or "mental problems".

These kind of problems usually are also manifested in the
physiology as well.

 >But then too, I think, the search for perfect health
 >takes on a life of its own sometimes. It becomes a
 >habit, people's social life revolves around it, it
 >becomes a sort of religion.

Certainly, but is your comment appropriate in this context?
As you have presented it, I have not seen much of what you
speak on this list.  Seeing religion when there is none can
also become a religion of sorts.

 >Now, Siobhan, if you really dont think this applies to
 >you, then ignore it.

How graceful of you. ;-)

 >I have, however, seen the above
 >mentioned things happen to people that I know (and
 >sooner or later they came to realize it themselves).

You make it sound so profound.  It's called growing up. :-)
However, if they did not resolve the underlying conditions
they might have grown in the process, yet, still not have
accomplished much more than re-arranged the deck chairs
on the Titanic.

 >So, I had hoped that a discussion of the issue might
 >have helped such people. That's all.

Even though I am not clear what specifically called you to
start this thread, initially you pulled it off reasonably well.
Unfortunately, you did not keep it up.  Your lack of effort to
continue in a respectful manner and your need to go off on
tangents gave you away.  Nobody is perfect but your preaching
of honesty made it stand out quite noticeably.

 >Why do I accuse you of psychobabble? First, you said
 > must have issues. Then you accused Nancy of
 >"projection". See, these are very convenient
 >accused of (1) having issues, or (2) projecting

You might have had a point if not for your ranting about
Chopra and new age spirituality. These are obviously hot button
topics for you but this kind of venting was not warranted in this thread
and was uncalled for.  Siobhan calling you on this and questioning
your motives in this regard was IMO only to expected.

Peter