EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:19:55 -0600
Cell phones (as do the hard wire phones in your homes) are always live for 911
or E-911 calls.

In fact, my cell phone folk have a special bin for used phones that are no
longer needed (digital are the rage and with the plans at Christmas were very
cheap--so the old analog cell phones are basically worthless to most folk.)
These phones are distributed to clients who are at high-risk for abuse (read
this as women and children who have been abused but still in the abusive
situation.)  The phones can be used to call for assistance (911) in case of a
domestic problem.

So--anyone with an old cell phone check in with your local cell phone provider
to see if there is a program that will accept the phone to give to a person
for whom it could save their life!!!!  If you don't have a local program try
Cingular.

Dan Miller

PS
---If you have ever been involved with a domestic problem (be it a student or
family) you will understand the urgency for such a program.  The average woman
(according to the Associate VP who is the former dept head of Social Work in
my institution)  will have to leave the abusive situation 7 (YES, SEVEN) times
before she will actually leave--many are so bruised, abused, and some times
dead that quite a price is payed by all who are involved.

I have been involved.  I had to help a student, who was a mother with 2 small
children, "steal" her car and make a run for the state-line to hide.  It was a
horrific experience--but had a happy ending.