EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 14:05:32 -0600
        I have been hearing talk, especially after the US
election of 2000 about making the voting process accessible to
people who are blind so that they can actually  vote
independently.  Has anyone on the four lists where I have
cross-posted this message actually seen or been involved in
testing any new voting equipment?

        This is not an advocacy post or a rant.  I am just
curious as to what ideas people have come up with to solve the
problem.

        Let's not limit responses to the United States, only.  I
understand that Canada has a uniform balletting system requiring
the marking of an X or something similar which sounds as if it
presents the same sort of problems that any ink and paper-based
system has in that one has to be able to read the ballet in order
to know where to mark or stamp.

        How does one make such a system truly work for everybody,
be as tamper-proof as humanly possible, and cost effective?

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group