EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 17:17:19 -0800
I hope you are not equating "correctness" with Jaws.  Jaws essentially
turns tables into lists for users.  If lists were good enough, nobody would
need tables.  So mark up information correctly whether or not one
particular accessibility tool happens to give proper access.  Something
better than Jaws will eventually come along.

John Gardner

At 05:01 PM 2/13/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I've noticed that JAWS will read the first row of a table in a Web page as
>a table header by default regardeless of whether the "th" tag is used for
>the first row.  Therefore is there a reason to use the "th" tag?  It
>doesn't seem to serve a purpose (unless you want to use the "abbr" tag).
>Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
>Howard Kramer
>Assistive Technology Lab Coordinator
>Disability Services
>CU-Boulder, Campus Box 107
>Boulder, Co  80309
>303-492-8672

John Gardner
Professor and Director, Science Access Project
Department of Physics
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331-6507
tel: (541) 737 3278