EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"W. Nick Dotson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
W. Nick Dotson
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:01:52 -0600
Norton Utilities used to come with various types of security errasure facilities, but it has been such a long since I've updated mine,
and don't have it on any of my current systems, I couldn't venture a guess as to whether or not they still have such facilities
nowadays.  However, it is something to check.
Nick

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:48:40 -0700, Jim Rebman wrote:

Trevor,

I do understand that this is how one would usually format a drive, however,
I need a *secure* format -- it is still quite possible to recover
information from a "formatted" hard drive, even after several passes.  I
need something that will actually write random data to the whole drive and
thereby eliminate the possiblity of anybody recovering anything from it.
The problem is that there are several encryption and access keys on this
disk that are necessary to get into certain computers on this campus, and I
would be in deep trouble if any of those ever got into the wrong hands.
Perhaps a little over cautious on my part, but I would rather err on the
side of caution.

thanks,

Jim

James A. Rebman

Cognitive Levers Project
Center for Life-Long Learning and Design (L3D)
University of Colorado, Boulder

"In times of change, the learners will inherit the earth, while the learned
will find themselves beautifully equipped for a world that no longer exists."
- Eric Hoffer