RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robin Mandell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 16:47:21 -0500
Lara says in response to Loren's post:

>Loren,

<snip>

>I REALLY wanted to be a fruitarian, I loved the idea
>of a diet of almost all fruit.  But what do you think
>about the difference between modern cultivated, mostly
>hybrid fruit, and truly wild fruit, which is higher in
>fiber and lower in sugar?  One of the things that
>scared me off of the fruitarian diet (and it's very
>difficult for me to cut down on fruits, I love them
>and crave them constantly) is the fact that in the
>last year I have been developing cavities like crazy.
>I have nine cavities right now that need filling.  Now
>I can't be sure that fruit is the culprit, because I
>have been cheating with other foods, even chocolate
>occasionally, but I've had perfectly health teeth all
>my life up until now, with no cavities, and it seems

Robin Says:
Well, wild fruit can be hard to find. I'll say one thing, I love wild
blueberries as opposed to cultivated. Again, lower in sugar and just in
some way healthier tasting.

CAvities usually have to do with a lack of dental hygienne, or a natural
propensity towards getting them. It may not necessarily be the sugar in the
fruit that is causing them (and btw in my unprofessional opinion the
occasional piece of chocolate will *not* cause cavities) but it may be the
acid content in fruit. I have only had one cavity in my whole life (and
this was caused by food which lodged between two teeth and which I did not
clean properly). I've een told that one of the reasons for my good luck is
my very neutral (and very plentiful) saliva. I also drink a lot of water
which I think contributes to my tooth health.