EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
J D Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:40:37 -0800
Rudi,

Do you really know your glucose burn rate? It's highly variable. Let's
assume you have eaten a high-carb meal and completely filled your liver and
muscle glycogen stores. Any muscles you use will take glycogen from their
internal glycogen storage. Muscles cannot share glycogen. Other needs of
the body for glucose (i.e., the brain) will be supplied from liver
glycogen. After a period of time, say 5 hours, you eat again. The majority
of the carbs you eat will be used to replenish the glycogen stores. If you
eat more carbs than are needed to refill, the excess carbs will become
saturated fat. This can only be avoided by eating precisely a replacement
quantity of carbs (how?) or eating less than that amount. Since we don't
have a "Glycogen Full" alarm this is a bit tricky unless you systematically
undereat carbs.

The major difference between eating carbs in excess of your current needs
and simply eating the fat directly is the amount of insulin generated.
Also, if you eat fats you have the opportunity to select the types of fats
you eat. E.g., you must eat essential fatty acids; your body cannot make them.

I suscribe to the theory that it's better to undereat carbs, avoiding
saturated fat production and keeping insulin levels low, and then to
periodically overeat carbs to replenish the glycogen stores (once or twice
a week). This allow me to control the mix of fatty acids I take in. Please
note: I do not avoid saturated fats, I simply ensure I get adequate
essential fats each day and take the rest in as saturated or
monounsaturated to satisfy hunger and energy requirements. No, I don't
drink olive oil, but having ample fat with each meal helps me to eat less
calories overall.

My current objective is fat loss, not muscle gain or performance, so what
I'm doing may or may not directly apply to you. I understand that some
believe that maxing out the insulin helps move amino acids into the muscle.
I'm more worried about the deleterious effects of insulin on fatty acid
processing and cellular functioning, so I choose to minimize it.

John