BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Take the last sled out before the avalanche, Rosebud
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:41:08 -0500
Be careful what you paint masonry with. If it is only for aesthetics, I
would recommend away from painting it at all. Never, never paint masonry
with oil based paint. Moisture transmission will be reduced, which
accelerates brick and mortar and stucco deterioration. Most likely, you'll
be left with sand between the bricks in a decade or so.

There are some good masonry coatings, stucco overcoatings and "stains" that
do not lock in moisture, such as Edison, Jahn and ProSoCo.

Eric Hammarberg
Associate Director of Preservation
Associate
LZA Technology