BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Met History <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Authentic Replicants Converge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:19:32 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Them pinheads must be processing  paperwork or something...too busy to
socialize.  Either that or their  still asleep.  Don't wake them, they just
cause trouble when they're  awake.  We loose dozens of pinheads in the
spring... >>

In March, the Gray family was doing the great Navajo circle in Arizona:

-- Sedona's Red Rock Valley - wow! - never heard of it!
-- Meteor Crater
-- speeding ticket
-- El Posada hotel in Winslow (built 1929 by the Santa Fe - walk off the
train right into the Mary Colter-designed mission-style hotel, recently
rescued by three UCLA grads who "didn't want to work in Silicon Valley" and
bought the abandoned hotel for $1 - it was full up on our visit) - trains,
trains, trains going by - heaven!!!
-- emergency dental visit in Winslow after sleepless, hellish night listening
to trains-trains-trains
-- Petrified Forest (kids bored)
-- "newspaper rock" at north end of Petrified Forest, a c. 1000 AD giant cube
of grey rock with covered with petroglyphs, which become most concentrated at
the corner - the sense of the people standing there hammering was palpable,
an Anasazi Times Square
-- Canyon de Chelly, a giant fork-like canyon enclave on which the Nav's
exercise a quaint tourist monopoly (typical exchange:  Guide (pointing to a
pinnacle):  "A Hopi woman used to live there, but she moved out."  Tourist:
"Oh, how long ago was she living there?"  Guide:  "Oh, about AD 1400.") -
don't miss: Spider Rock
-- Four Corners (we missed it; hey, did you know the intersection of four
states is only open 8 to 5?)
-- Shiprock, New Mexico (must see to believe, if only from Arizona)
-- Monument Valley -  socko!  stayed in a Nav mud/log hogan open to the stars
with dirt floor (note: Arizona ticks do not carry lyme disease) and we all
loved it; opened due-east door in morning with sun rising over pinnacles and
mesas - almost killed in rockslide on a hike with our Indian guide - the
feeling of rocks sliding out from under you to fall 200 feet down is ....
strangely peaceful
-- Grand Canyon -- best day hike from South Rim is South Kaibab trail to
Skeleton Point; skip Bright Angel Trail, except for the experience of passing
a mule train with Central Casting mule drivers and a near miss with a
frightened ram with big horns running past you at 20 mph

As with pretty much everyplace, spring is great - I'd skip summer.

Sign me,    Ou Sont Les Reptile Farms d'Antans?