RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 10:14:49 -0800
It turns out that the anonymous author (taa) of the review of NFL that
I posted late yesterday is a subscriber to veg-raw and either a night
owl or an early bird as the prompt response to my posting of the review
came during my seven of hours sleep :-), wishes to comment on my
posting of the review. Taa's identify has been revealed to me, but taa
wishes to remain anonymous which I will respect. I find the
circumstances to be so special and the issue at hand so important that
I will allow for this exception to the charter of the list. Taa has
asked me to forward the following to the list:

The author of the anonymous book review of "Nature's First Law" from
the SF-LiFE newsletter (recently posted to veg-raw), wishes to inform
others of the following.

1. As of October 1996, SF-LiFE has a new newsletter, under a different
editor. Unlike the previous newsletter, the new newsletter is not a
mouthpiece for the views of T.C. Fry. Instead, the newsletter is an
open forum for all viewpoints in the entire field of raw foods.  (Some
people in SF-LiFE are upset by this, as the newsletter has lost its
"hygienic purity"). The latest issue has notes from a workshop dealing
with the unusual topic of "Plant Spirit Medicine" - one would never see
such an article under the previous newsletter editorship.

2. The NFL book review was done anonymously because the review author
had previous interaction with part of the NFL group, in which the NFL
person was aggressive, rude and hostile. The review author did not want
to experience any further harassment by the NFL group.

3. The review was not as negative as the author could have made it. As
a result of their behavior, and the nature and tone of the book, the
review author is of the personal opinion that NFL is truly unique, as
they appear to be the world's only raw foods hate group!

4. One SF-LiFE member disagrees with the review, and has written an
alternate review (more positive), which will probably appear in the
January issue. A copy of that second review is being sent to the
original review author, who may write a very brief rejoinder, depending
on the contents of the 2nd review.

5. Some people justify the "strong" NFL approach ("obnoxious" is more
accurate)on the grounds that it will reach a certain target audience
that would otherwise not be reached.  However, a raw foods lifestyle is
not about zealotry; it is about learning to love yourself, others, and
the earth, enough to live a raw foods lifestyle. Intense criticism of
cooked food eaters, and vicious personal attacks on those who disagree
with the one true way (or else!!) promoted by NFL, will, in the long
run, cause more harm than good to the raw foods movement.
Another way of looking at the issue is as follows. Racism and
homophobia are still present in our society and practiced by many.
Would you applaud a "strong" raw foods approach that was laced with
overt racism and homophobia? If not, why not - such an approach might
convert the racists and homophobes to the raw foods movement, and as
that is the "only way to save the earth", the ends of
course justify the means!

I hope you have found that the above stimulates your thinking. Thanks
to the posters on veg-raw for thoroughly debunking the delusions that
NFL arrogantly presents as the "truth".

Anonymous

Best, Peter